- July 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Looking for a healthier version of steak and chips? Then swap your usual steak and chips dinner for this healthier Italian-style combination of seared steak, fresh tomatoes, garlic and rocket.
- 21.3g (5.7g saturated)
- 21.5g (3.9g sugars)
- 500g bag jersey royals
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 British free-range rump steaks (225-250g each)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 beef tomatoes, sliced
- 100g rocket
- 35g parmesan, shaved
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain well, then lightly crush with a fork. Toss with 1 tbsp of the oil and 1 tbsp of the chopped oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Brush the steaks with oil and season well. Sear for 3-4 minutes each side (or until cooked to your liking), then set aside on a plate to rest. When rested, slice across the grain into 2cm thick strips.
- Warm the remaining oil and the garlic in the frying pan for 2-3 minutes, then add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper to make a warm dressing. After a minute, stir in the remaining oregano.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on 4 plates. Top with the rocket, sliced steak, dressing and parmesan shavings. Serve with the potatoes.
If you’re not a garlic fan, replace it with a squeeze of lemon juice and extra oregano.
Add a pinch of chilli flakes and grated lemon zest to the potatoes for extra zing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Steak tagliata with roast beetroot, watercress, walnuts and mustard dressing
Debbie Major serves this classic Italian steak recipe with earthy beetroot and crunchy walnuts, all...