- July 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Looking for a healthier version of steak and chips? Then swap your usual steak and chips dinner for this healthier Italian-style combination of seared steak, fresh tomatoes, garlic and rocket.
- 21.3g (5.7g saturated)
- 21.5g (3.9g sugars)
- 500g bag jersey royals
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 2 British free-range rump steaks (225-250g each)
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 beef tomatoes, sliced
- 100g rocket
- 35g parmesan, shaved
- Put the potatoes in a large pan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes until tender. Drain well, then lightly crush with a fork. Toss with 1 tbsp of the oil and 1 tbsp of the chopped oregano and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Brush the steaks with oil and season well. Sear for 3-4 minutes each side (or until cooked to your liking), then set aside on a plate to rest. When rested, slice across the grain into 2cm thick strips.
- Warm the remaining oil and the garlic in the frying pan for 2-3 minutes, then add the vinegar and season with salt and pepper to make a warm dressing. After a minute, stir in the remaining oregano.
- Arrange the sliced tomatoes on 4 plates. Top with the rocket, sliced steak, dressing and parmesan shavings. Serve with the potatoes.
If you’re not a garlic fan, replace it with a squeeze of lemon juice and extra oregano.
Add a pinch of chilli flakes and grated lemon zest to the potatoes for extra zing.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Steak tagliata with roast beetroot, watercress, walnuts and mustard dressing
Debbie Major serves this classic Italian steak recipe with earthy beetroot and crunchy walnuts, all...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...