Stir-fried red cabbage with juniper and pears
- January 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
Instead of more typical apples, this stir-fried red cabbage recipe has the added flavours of succulent pears and fragrant juniper.
- 10.3g (4.9g saturated)
- 19.2g carbs (18.1g sugars)
- 1 medium (about 700g) red cabbage
- 50g butter
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ whole nutmeg, freshly grated
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 ripe but firm pears, such as rocha
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Quarter the cabbage, remove the core and cut each wedge across into thin slices. Heat 25g of the butter and 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Add the juniper berries and cook gently for a minute or two until they release their aroma. Add the onion to the pan and fry for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the shredded cabbage and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the spices, vinegar and some seasoning, then lower the heat, cover and leave to cook for 7-8 minutes or until the cabbage is just tender, giving it a stir every now and then.
- Meanwhile, quarter the pears, cut out the cores and cut each piece into 3-4 long slices. Heat the remaining butter and olive oil in a large frying pan, add the pears and cook them for 4-5 minutes, carefully turning them every now and then, until they are just tender and starting to colour. Turn off the heat and set to one side.
- When the cabbage is tender, uncover, stir in the redcurrant jelly and cook for a few minutes more until the jelly has melted and any excess liquid has evaporated. Gently stir in the pears, simmer for 1-2 minutes until they have heated through, adjust the seasoning to taste, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter