Stir-fried red cabbage with juniper and pears
- January 2011
- Serves 6
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 30 minutes to cook
Instead of more typical apples, this stir-fried red cabbage recipe has the added flavours of succulent pears and fragrant juniper.
- 10.3g (4.9g saturated)
- 19.2g carbs (18.1g sugars)
- 1 medium (about 700g) red cabbage
- 50g butter
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ whole nutmeg, freshly grated
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 5 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 ripe but firm pears, such as rocha
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Quarter the cabbage, remove the core and cut each wedge across into thin slices. Heat 25g of the butter and 1 tbsp of the olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over a medium heat. Add the juniper berries and cook gently for a minute or two until they release their aroma. Add the onion to the pan and fry for 5-6 minutes until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more, then stir in the shredded cabbage and stir-fry for 5 minutes. Add the spices, vinegar and some seasoning, then lower the heat, cover and leave to cook for 7-8 minutes or until the cabbage is just tender, giving it a stir every now and then.
- Meanwhile, quarter the pears, cut out the cores and cut each piece into 3-4 long slices. Heat the remaining butter and olive oil in a large frying pan, add the pears and cook them for 4-5 minutes, carefully turning them every now and then, until they are just tender and starting to colour. Turn off the heat and set to one side.
- When the cabbage is tender, uncover, stir in the redcurrant jelly and cook for a few minutes more until the jelly has melted and any excess liquid has evaporated. Gently stir in the pears, simmer for 1-2 minutes until they have heated through, adjust the seasoning to taste, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...