Christmas red cabbage
- December 2004
- Serves 6
- Ready in 40 minutes
Every Christmas dinner needs a side of festive red cabbage. Our easy peasy recipe, made with apple and raisins, is made by adding all the ingredients to a casserole dish then cooking in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.1g (3.5g saturated)
- 17.7g (16.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp butter, plus a little extra to garnish (optional)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and very roughly diced
- 1 small to medium red cabbage, up to 1kg, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves
- Handful dried fruit such as raisins, or even apricots
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Melt the butter in a casserole or large baking tray and fry the onion until tender, without letting it brown.
- Add the other ingredients, stir well and add 100ml of water. Cover with foil or a lid and cook in the oven for 30 minutes – check it after 15 minutes – until the cabbage is soft, sweet and sour. Check the seasoning. You may wish to serve it garnished with extra butter.
Rate & review