Christmas red cabbage
- December 2004
- Serves 6
- Ready in 40 minutes
What’s the best way to cook red cabbage? Like this! Every Christmas dinner plate needs this side. Our easy peasy recipe, with apple and raisins, is made by adding all the ingredients to a casserole dish then cooking in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.1g (3.5g saturated)
- 17.7g (16.6g sugars)
- 2 tbsp butter, plus a little extra to garnish (optional)
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 cooking apple, peeled, cored and very roughly diced
- 1 small to medium red cabbage, up to 1kg, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cloves
- Handful dried fruit such as raisins, or even apricots
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/fan130°C/gas 2. Melt the butter in a casserole or large baking tray and fry the onion until tender, without letting it brown.
- Add the other ingredients, stir well and add 100ml of water. Cover with foil or a lid and cook in the oven for 30 minutes – check it after 15 minutes – until the cabbage is soft, sweet and sour. Check the seasoning. You may wish to serve it garnished with extra butter.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...