Summery lamb pilaf salad
- June 2012
- Serves 2
- Hands-on 10 min, oven time 5-6 min
You don’t have to wait for the weekend to have lamb – this quick recipe combines seared lamb with a spiced rice pilaf, pomegranate and fresh herbs for a Middle Eastern-inspired midweek meal.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 2 thick lamb leg steaks
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 280g pack Veetee Dine In Basmati Rice (widely available), or similar
- 25g butter
- 1-2 tsp Bart Baharat Spice Blend (from Tesco and Waitrose), gently toasted in a dry pan
- 3 spring onions, sliced into matchsticks
- Handful of fresh mint, finely chopped, plus leaves for garnish
- Handful each of pomegranate seeds and toasted pine nuts
- Heat a griddle pan over a high heat (or fire up the barbie). Rub the lamb steaks with the oil and a sprinkling of seasoning, then sear on each side for 2-3 minutes for medium, depending on size, and set aside to rest. Meanwhile, heat the rice according to the packet instructions, then quickly fork through the butter, toasted spice, spring onions and chopped mint.
- Slice the lamb across the grain, then stir through the pilaf mix along with a scattering of seasoning. Sprinkle over the pomegranate seeds, pine nuts and mint leaves to garnish, then serve. Enjoy warm – perhaps with a cold beer.
Next time make this into a veggie pilaf by omitting the lamb and stirring in a drained tin of cooked chickpeas instead.
Rate & review