Sweet potato soup with garlic croûtes
- November 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 45 min
Take your soup-making skills up a notch with this sweet potato recipe; it’s bound to satisfy whoever’s at the table, and who could possibly say no to garlic croûtes?
If you like the look of this, take a look at our creamy butternut squash and tomato soup.
- 21.1g (8.5g saturated)
- 81.1g (16.1g sugars)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 sweet potatoes (about 750g), peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 750ml good quality vegetable stock
- 2 small ciabatta loaves, split open and cut into sticks
- 40g butter, melted
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- 4 tbsp single cream
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Toss the chopped onion, 4 of the garlic cloves and the sweet potato chunks with the oil on a large roasting tray, then season well with salt and pepper. Roast for 40-45 minutes until the potatoes are softened and golden.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a large saucepan (keep the oven on). Pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and whizz with a stick blender until smooth. Freeze in portions or return the soup to the hob to warm through. Taste, season and keep warm.
- Put the ciabatta sticks on a baking tray. Grate the remaining garlic into a small bowl, then mix in the butter and parsley and brush over the ciabatta sticks. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes to toast.
- Divide the soup among 4 warmed bowls, drizzle with the cream, scatter over the pumpkin seeds and serve the garlic croûtes on the side.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Creamy butternut squash and tomato soup
Smooth butternut squash soup is a delicious winter warmer and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter