Broccoli and pasta soup
- March 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in about 1 hour
This healthy broccoli and pasta soup produces a wonderful broth. It’s low in calories, full of flavour, and very cheap to make – a recipe that won’t hurt your waistline or your wallet.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.4g (5.2g saturated)
- 31.1g (13.9g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 400g can peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1.3 litres vegetable stock, hot
- 500g broccoli, cut into florets, or use purple sprouting broccoli or kale
- 75g macaroni or other small pasta
- Bunch of fresh whole basil leaves
- Grated vegetarian Parmesan and extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the garlic, onions, celery and carrot. Stir in ½ teaspoon salt, cover and sweat down for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Squish the tomatoes in a colander so that you have a pulp and no juices. Add to the pot with the tomato purée, vinegar, sugar, stock and broccoli. Bring to a simmer and cook gently, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and stir into the soup along with the basil. Season to taste.
- Divide between bowls. Put the Parmesan and olive oil on the table so that people can help themselves.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...