Broccoli and pasta soup
- March 2006
- Serves 4
- Ready in about 1 hour
This healthy broccoli and pasta soup produces a wonderful broth. It’s low in calories, full of flavour, and very cheap to make – a recipe that won’t hurt your waistline or your wallet.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.4g (5.2g saturated)
- 31.1g (13.9g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 red onions, finely diced
- 2 sticks celery, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 400g can peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1.3 litres vegetable stock, hot
- 500g broccoli, cut into florets, or use purple sprouting broccoli or kale
- 75g macaroni or other small pasta
- Bunch of fresh whole basil leaves
- Grated vegetarian Parmesan and extra-virgin olive oil, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat. Add the garlic, onions, celery and carrot. Stir in ½ teaspoon salt, cover and sweat down for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Squish the tomatoes in a colander so that you have a pulp and no juices. Add to the pot with the tomato purée, vinegar, sugar, stock and broccoli. Bring to a simmer and cook gently, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and stir into the soup along with the basil. Season to taste.
- Divide between bowls. Put the Parmesan and olive oil on the table so that people can help themselves.
Rate & review