Tomato and vegetable sauce
- September 2019
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 25 min
A hearty tomato and vegetable sauce that’s wonderful to stir through pasta or, for meat eaters, alongside roasted meats.
While you’re here, take a look at our full collection of Italian vegetarian recipes.
- Vegan recipes
- 7.8g (1.1g saturated)
- 7.7g (6.9g sugars)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- ½ celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- ½ courgette finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped plum tomatoes
- 1 vegetable stock pot or cube (check it’s vegan, if necessary)
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, add the finely chopped vegetables and cook gently for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes along with about half a tomato tin of water and the stock pot/cube. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook for 25 minutes. Check for seasoning and add a little salt and pepper, if you like. (see Make Ahead).
This recipe is is from Gennaro’s Pasta Perfecto! Published by Pavilion Books. Grab yourself a copy here.
Stir the sauce through pasta or, for meat eaters, bake a layer of sauce under fillets of fish or alongside roasted meats.
Keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days, or pour into labelled food bags and freeze for up to 3 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Italian vegetarian recipes
Cheesy baked polenta with grilled cherry tomato sauce
Quick-cook polenta is mixed with garlic, parmesan and goat’s cheese then baked and topped with...