Baked falafel in tomato sauce
- January 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 12-15 min
A seriously simple supper with the warming spices and comforting aromas of the Eastern Mediterranean. Give this baked falafel dish a go for a vegan take on shakshuka.
- Vegan recipes
- 13g (1.4g saturated)
- 24g(14.1g sugars)
- 150g pack falafel mix (we used Al’fez from Waitrose, but Sainsbury’s sells a similar one)
- Small handful fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp harissa paste
- 50g dried apricots, chopped
- 400g tin cherry tomatoes
- 200ml vegetable stock, hot
- 60g baby leaf spinach
- 2-3 tbsp tahini
- Tip the falafel mix into a mixing bowl with 170ml cold water and the chopped parsley, stir well, then set aside until needed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a shallow casserole with a lid, then gently fry the onion for 10 minutes to soften. Add the chopped pepper and fry for 5 minutes more. Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Stir the harissa and apricots into the casserole, cook for 2 minutes, then add the cherry tomatoes. Rinse the tomato tin with a splash of cold water and stir this in along with the hot vegetable stock and a little salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Divide the falafel mix into 8 equal portions then, with wet hands, shape into rough balls. Add to the simmering tomato sauce, then transfer the casserole to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the casserole, scatter over the spinach, then cover with the lid and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to wilt the spinach. Remove the casserole from the oven, then serve drizzled with the tahini (see tips) alongside warm flatbreads or sweet potato wedges.
Make a double batch of the sauce and freeze half in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge to make this again or stir into pasta instead.
If your tahini is too thick to drizzle, loosen it by whisking in a tiny splash of hot water.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...