Cheesy baked polenta with grilled cherry tomato sauce
- July 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 15 min
Quick-cook polenta is mixed with garlic, parmesan and goat’s cheese then baked and topped with capers and tomatoes to make this vegetarian Italian-style dish.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.7g (6.6g saturated)
- 53.2g (8.7g sugars)
For the tomato sauce
- 800g cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp drained and rinsed capers
For the cheesy polenta
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 250g quick-cook polenta
- 50g grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- 80g goat’s cheese
- Fresh oregano and extra crumbled goat’s cheese, to serve
- Heat the grill to high. For the sauce, put the cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves in a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, then grill for 10-12 minutes until blackened and bursting. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a pan and mash with a fork. Stir in the capers, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Meanwhile, heat a glug of oil in a deep 30cm ovenproof frying pan and fry the chopped onion with a pinch of salt over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes to soften. Add the crushed garlic and fry for 1 minute, then put in a bowl and set aside. Pour 1 litre freshly boiled water into the pan, then stir in the quick-cook polenta and simmer, stirring, until the it has absorbed the water and thickened. Stir in the onions/garlic, grated parmesan, goat’s cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper, then bake for 15 minutes until golden and set.
- Warm the sauce and pour over the polenta. Scatter with fresh oregano and extra crumbled goat’s cheese. Serve with a green salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fried tenderstem and kale with poached eggs and polenta
Tenderstem broccoli and kale are fried together then served with cheesy polenta and a poached...