Cheesy baked polenta with grilled cherry tomato sauce
- July 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 15 min
Quick-cook polenta is mixed with garlic, parmesan and goat’s cheese then baked and topped with capers and tomatoes to make this vegetarian Italian-style dish.
- 14.7g (6.6g saturated)
- 53.2g (8.7g sugars)
For the tomato sauce
- 800g cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp drained and rinsed capers
For the cheesy polenta
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 250g quick-cook polenta
- 50g grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- 80g goat’s cheese
- Fresh oregano and extra crumbled goat’s cheese, to serve
- Heat the grill to high. For the sauce, put the cherry tomatoes and garlic cloves in a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, then grill for 10-12 minutes until blackened and bursting. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then transfer to a pan and mash with a fork. Stir in the capers, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5.
- Meanwhile, heat a glug of oil in a deep 30cm ovenproof frying pan and fry the chopped onion with a pinch of salt over a medium heat for 7-8 minutes to soften. Add the crushed garlic and fry for 1 minute, then put in a bowl and set aside. Pour 1 litre freshly boiled water into the pan, then stir in the quick-cook polenta and simmer, stirring, until the it has absorbed the water and thickened. Stir in the onions/garlic, grated parmesan, goat’s cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper, then bake for 15 minutes until golden and set.
- Warm the sauce and pour over the polenta. Scatter with fresh oregano and extra crumbled goat’s cheese. Serve with a green salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Fried tenderstem and kale with poached eggs and polenta
Tenderstem broccoli and kale are fried together then served with...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter