Turkey and apricot burgers with sweet potato wedges
- July 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 mins, 35-40 mins cooking time, plus chilling
Get a taste of the Mediterranean with this delicious sweet-and-sour turkey and apricot burger recipe.
- 22.4g (4.5g saturated)
- 115.2g (30.8g sugars)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 slices (75g) wholemeal bread, crusts removed
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 500g minced turkey
- 100g dried, ready-to-eat apricots, finely chopped
- 4 burger buns
- Little gem lettuce leaves, tomato slices and burger relishes, to serve
For the sweet potato wedges
- 900g sweet potatoes, unpeeled
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and bacon and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until the onion has softened and the bacon is golden. Add the garlic, fry for 1 minute, then tip into a large bowl and cool slightly.
- Put the bread and parsley in a food processor and whizz to make herbed crumbs. Add to the cooled onion mixture with the turkey and apricots. Season, then mix together well with your hands. Shape into 4 burgers, cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sweet potato wedges. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Cut the sweet potatoes into wedges and put into a large roasting tin. Add the oil, season with sea salt and black pepper, and toss together. Roast for 35-40 minutes, turning halfway, until tender and golden.
- About 20 minutes before the potato wedges are ready, cook the burgers. Heat a griddle or large frying pan over a medium-high heat, add the burgers and cook for 7-8 minutes each side or until charred and cooked through. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Halve the burger buns, then pop them on the griddle or frying pan, cut-side down (in batches, if necessary) to toast lightly.
- Divide the lettuce and tomato slices between the bun bases and top with the turkey burgers and bun tops. Serve with the sweet potato wedges and relishes on the side.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...