Baked eggs and tomatoes
- March Unwins supplement 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 30 minutes
Onions, tomatoes chillis and garlic are cooked before topping with eggs and golden breadcrumbs; the perfect recipe for a lazy brunch or a summery breakfast for two.
Got time for something that takes a little to cook but really packs a punch? Try our shakshuka recipe.
- 17.1 (3.2g saturated)
- 10.6g protein
- 16.2g (9.8g sugars)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped
- 300g chopped tomatoes
- A handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan and fry the onion until softened.
- Add the red chillies and garlic, then cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, then cook for 15-20 minutes. Season with the red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Make 2 wells, crack in the eggs, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and bake for 6-8 minutes to cook the eggs. Scatter with a few fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked tomatoes and eggs with basil, chilli and parmesan
Baked tomatoes with eggs, basil and parmesan makes a delicious...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter