Veal and pancetta-stuffed apples
- October 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 45 min
These apples are stuffed with pancetta and veal; they make an amazing side dish to serve with a roast dinner.
- 5.4g fat (2.3g saturated)
- 6.7g protein
- 26.4g carbs (23.2g sugars)
- 6.1g fibre
- 0.5g salt
- Knob of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 50g thinly sliced pancetta, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- A few thyme sprigs
- Good grating nutmeg
- 8 sweet red British eating apples, such as gala (see tip)
- 100g British veal mince
- 20g fresh breadcrumbs
- Small handful chopped fresh parsley
- Zest ¼ lemon
- 4 tbsp brandy
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Melt the butter in a small frying pan. Add the onion and fry for about 10 minutes with the pancetta, garlic, cinnamon, bay, thyme and nutmeg until completely soft. Tip into a bowl and leave to cool.
- Core the apples to leave a 4-5cm hole (discard the core). Using a sharp, small knife, score a shallow line through the skin around the middle of each apple. Sit the fruit in a baking dish or roasting tin.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the cooled onions and discard. Mix the onions with the veal mince, breadcrumbs, parsley and lemon zest, adding a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stuff the veal mix tightly into the apples (about 60g each – see tip).
- Drizzle with brandy, then bake for 45 minutes until the apples are tender and the veal is cooked, basting with the juices halfway through. Serve alongside a roast pork or chicken lunch.
You can use any apples for this – even baking apples such as bramley, but you’ll have to scoop out quite a lot of the flesh to balance the flavour, as they’re quite sour. As bramleys are bigger, you’ll need fewer apples for the amount of stuffing too.
Bake the stuffed apples, then freeze for up to a month in a freezerproof container. Defrost, then heat for 25 minutes at 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 or until heated through.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cinnamon and berry-stuffed baked apples with maple syrup
Blueberries and cranberries are known for being superfoods and an apple a day keeps the...