Vegetarian huevos rancheros
- June 2016
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 45 min, simmering time 10 min
Eggs, chilli, salsa and guacamole served on top of a soft corn tortilla – Sophie Michell’s brunch recipe is the perfect start to the weekend.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 31.6g (9.4g saturated)
- 56.9g (16.3g sugars)
- 1 tsp olive oil, plus extra for frying the eggs
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Pinch dried chilli flakes
- 400g can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 50g feta, crumbled
For the guacamole
- 1 avocado, peeled and stoned
- Small handful chopped fresh coriander, plus extra to garnish
- Juice 1 lime
- ½ garlic clove
For the salsa
- 4 ripe tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- Small handful chopped fresh coriander
- Dash Tabasco sauce
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the onion, cumin and chilli flakes for 7-8 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the beans and 100ml cold water, then season and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- For the guacamole, put all the ingredients in a blender and whizz until smooth. Season, then set aside.
- Combine all the salsa ingredients in a bowl. Season, then set aside.
- When you’re ready to eat, heat the oven to low. Fry the tortillas in a hot dry frying pan for a few minutes on each side until golden. Keep warm in the oven while you fry the eggs.
- Heat a little oil in a medium frying pan over a medium-high heat, then fry the eggs to your liking. When the eggs are ready, get out 2 plates. Put a tortilla on each plate, then spoon some beans on top. Make a well in the middle of the beans, then put a fried egg inside. Sprinkle with the feta and extra coriander, then serve with the guacamole and salsa.
Flour tortillas would also work well with this recipe.
Rate & review