Quick and easy aubergine parmigiana
- September 2009
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 25-30 minutes to cook
Shop-bought pesto and tomato sauce make this aubergine parmigiana both quick and easy to make.
If you have more time, Gennaro Contaldo’s baked aubergine recipe is a must-make.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 2 small aubergines
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto
- 2 x 125g balls mozzarella, sliced
- 350g jar chilli and tomato sauce
- 50g ready-made fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g grated vegetarian Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Slice the aubergines lengthways into 1cm slices and brush with olive oil. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and cook the aubergine in batches for 2-3 minutes, turning once, until tender.
- Spread 1 side of the cooked aubergine slices with 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato pesto, then layer them up into 3 layers in a lightly greased ovenproof dish with mozzarella and the jar of chilli and tomato sauce.
- Mix together fresh breadcrumbs and Parmesan, then sprinkle over the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and golden. Serve with a green salad.
Rate & review