Warm beef and lentil spring salad
- June 2013
- Serves 4
- 25 min
This filling warm beef and lentil salad takes under 30 minutes to bring together. Add lambs lettuce, mint and peppery radishes.
Swap those lunchtime sarnies for another of our filling salad recipes.
- 21.9g (4.2g saturated)
- 12.3g (1.4g sugar)
- 2 British sirloin steaks
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Pinch of sugar
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 150g radishes, finely sliced
- 2 little gem lettuces, leaves torn
- Handful of lamb’s lettuce
- A few sprigs of fresh mint, leaves picked
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- Bunch of chervil (optional)
- 250g pack ready-cooked puy lentils
- Rub the steaks with 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and black pepper. Heat a heavy-based frying pan until smoking, then cook the steaks for 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove and leave to rest on a plate.
- Whisk the vinegar with a little salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar, then whisk in the remaining olive oil and the walnut oil. Toss the radishes, lettuces and herbs in a bowl.
- In the still-warm pan, stir the lentils with the dressing until the lentils are warmed through (you may need to put it over a very low heat if the pan has cooled).
- Slice the steak, adding any of the juices to the pan with the lentils. Toss the dressed lentils and sliced steak through the salad and serve.
This would also work well with strips of leftover rare roast beef. Or, for a different flavour, try flaked hot-smoked salmon.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beef salad recipes
Seared paprika beef salad with smoky romesco sauce
By using clever time-saving ingredients, this warm salad with spice-rubbed...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter