Roast beef salad platter
- April 2009
- Serves 6
- Takes 25 minutes to make, 1½ hours to cook, plus resting
For a summery alternative to a traditional roast, serve slices of tender pink beef fillet on a bed of salad leaves with roast potatoes.
There’s a Sunday lunch for all seasons in our roast beef recipes collection.
- 15.2g (3.4g saturated)
- 27g (10.4 g sugar)
- 6 small beetroot (each about the size of a lime), tops cut off
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 500g floury potatoes
- 4 medium red onions, cut into wedges
- 700g piece beef fillet
- 200g French green beans, trimmed
- 3 tbsp good, aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 200g baby spinach leaves, rocket or watercress or a mixture of all three
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Wash the beetroot gently to remove any dirt, but don’t scrub. Toss in 1 tbsp of the oil and roast on the bottom shelf of the oven for about 1 hour, until tender. A knife should pierce the centre of the beetroot with no resistance.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the potatoes into big, chunky pieces. Place in a saucepan of water and bring to the boil. When boiling, simmer for 5-6 minutes, then drain well. Spill into a roasting tin with the onion wedges, drizzle with 2 tbsp oil and season. Transfer to the middle shelf of the oven and roast for 30-35 minutes until the potatoes are golden and the onions are tender.
- While the vegetables are in the oven, weigh the beef and calculate the cooking time as per the chart (a 700g fillet should take just under 30 minutes; ignore the initial 10 minutes as you’re browning the beef in a pan). Season the beef well and rub all over with 1 tbsp olive oil. Heat a large pan over a high heat and seal the beef to brown all over. Put in the roasting tin, place on the top shelf of the oven and cook for your calculated cooking time.
- Put the beef on a plate, cover with foil and rest for 20 minutes. Once the vegetables are cooked, turn off the oven and leave them inside.
- Meanwhile, cook the beans for 3 minutes in a pan of boiling, salted water, then drain and refresh under running water. Drain and set aside.
- Make the dressing: whisk together the vinegar, the remaining 1 tbsp oil, the mustard and plenty of seasoning. Put the salad leaves and beans into
- a large bowl and toss gently with two-thirds of the dressing. Spill out onto a large platter. Quarter each warm beetroot and arrange among the salad leaves with the hot roast potatoes and onions. Thinly slice the beef and add to the salad. Drizzle with the remaining dressing to serve.
N.B. The temperature here is different to a usual roast because you are cooking vegetables at the same time as the beef.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast beef recipes
Pangrattato-topped beef with slow-roast tomato, garlic and basil lentil salad
Picnics are more than soggy sandwiches and biscuits – pack...
Scandi-style steak salad with buttermilk dressing and rye crumbs
A classic Scandinavian salad recipe – steak, beetroot, dill and...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter