Warm quinoa salad with broad beans and pomegranate
- May 2013
- Serves 2-4
- Hands on time 15 minutes, cooking time 15 minutes
Top this Middle Eastern-style quinoa salad, by vegetarian cookery book writer Rose Eliot, with halloumi, houmous, feta or avocado for an easy, vegetarian dinner.
- 2.2g (0.2g saturated)
- 24.3g (7.2g sugars)
For 4 with dressing
- 125g quinoa
- 200g frozen broad beans
- 1 pomegranate
- 4 spring onions, chopped
For the dressing (optional)
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar (from Waitrose, Ocado and specialist Asian and health food stores)
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 2 tsp chopped fresh mint
- Rinse the quinoa in a sieve, then put it into a saucepan with 250ml water and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer over a gentle heat for about 15 minutes until all the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy.
- Meanwhile, put the broad beans in a saucepan, cover with boiling water and simmer for 2-3 minutes until tender. Drain, then cover with cold water to cool. With your fingers, pop the beans out of their grey skins and into a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients, if using, then pour it over the beans to dress.4. Cut the pomegranate in half around its equator. Hold each half over the beans, cut-side down, and bang with a wooden spoon to release the seeds.
- Add the beans and pomegranate to the cooked quinoa with the spring onions. Stir to combine, then serve.
For a fuller salad, add slices of peeled orange and serve with grilled halloumi. Then serve with crisp little gem lettuce leaves to use as scoops, or add crumbled feta, houmous and sliced avocado.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegan dinner recipes
Lemony raw beetroot and quinoa salad with dill and olives
”Raw beetroot is one of my favourite foods. It’s crisp...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter