Zabaglione ice cream
- April 2015
- Makes around 1 litre (serves 8)
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus overnight infusing, churning and freezing
An ice cream version of the Italian dessert recipe. The perfect end to a dinner party, with its juicy marsala-soaked sultanas.
See our classic zabaglione recipe too – it’s such a light, frothy end to a meal.
- 27g (15.9g saturated)
- 17.7g (17.7g sugars)
- 30g sultanas
- 175ml sweet marsala wine
- 4 large free-range egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 150ml whole milk (preferably gold top)
- 350ml double cream
- Soak the sultanas in the marsala overnight.
- The next day, beat the egg yolks and sugar using an electric mixer for 2 minutes until pale and frothy. Gently heat the milk and cream in a saucepan until steaming, then whisk into the egg mixture using a wooden spoon until combined.
- Return the mixture to the cleaned pan and heat gently, stirring, until the mixture lightly coats the back of the spoon. Strain into a bowl, stir through the marsala and raisins, then cover with cling film touching the surface. When cool, chill for around 3 hours.
- Churn in an ice cream machine until softly frozen, then freeze until solid.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Zabaglione with amaretti biscuits
Zabaglione (or sometimes, zabaione) is a light, foamy Italian dessert...
Panettone, vin santo berries and zabaglione cream trifle
A master pairing of boozy berries, panettone and creamy zabaglione...
Subscribe to our magazine
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter