What to do with leftover freekeh
Made from roasted green durum wheat, freekeh has a nutty, often smoky flavour. Try these recipes and discover how it is a great addition to many dishes.
Recipes using freekeh
- Grilled mackerel, grapefruit and pesto freekeh salad
- Aubergine steaks with freekeh salad and buttermilk dressing
- Chicken and freekeh salad with pomegranate
How to use up leftover freekeh
- Grain salad. Freekeh works really well in place of couscous or pearl barley in a warm roasted vegetable salad. Add plenty of torn herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of good quality olive oil, then top with crumbled goat’s cheese or feta.
- Med-style side. Drain cooked, still-warm freekeh, then dress with extra-virgn olive oil and a bit of vinegar, then season with sea salt (it absorbs flavours best when warm). Add plenty of chopped fresh herbs, coarsely chopped baby spinach leaves and chopped cherry tomatoes.
- Easy summer vegetarian supper. Roast chopped fennel and cubes of sweet potato with a splash of oil in a hot oven until tender. Toss with cooked freekeh, basil and mint, then top with grilled halloumi.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...