What to do with leftover freekeh
Made from roasted green durum wheat, freekeh has a nutty, often smoky flavour. Try these recipes and discover how it is a great addition to many dishes.
Recipes using freekeh
- Grilled mackerel, grapefruit and pesto freekeh salad
- Aubergine steaks with freekeh salad and buttermilk dressing
- Chicken and freekeh salad with pomegranate
How to use up leftover freekeh
- Grain salad. Freekeh works really well in place of couscous or pearl barley in a warm roasted vegetable salad. Add plenty of torn herbs, a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of good quality olive oil, then top with crumbled goat’s cheese or feta.
- Med-style side. Drain cooked, still-warm freekeh, then dress with extra-virgn olive oil and a bit of vinegar, then season with sea salt (it absorbs flavours best when warm). Add plenty of chopped fresh herbs, coarsely chopped baby spinach leaves and chopped cherry tomatoes.
- Easy summer vegetarian supper. Roast chopped fennel and cubes of sweet potato with a splash of oil in a hot oven until tender. Toss with cooked freekeh, basil and mint, then top with grilled halloumi.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine this month for a half price subscriptionSubscribe