2 tbsp grated Parmesan
Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus juice of ½ lemon
2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
4 chicken supremes, skin on (see tip)
Splash of olive oil
(sh)For the bean stew
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
200g pack smoked bacon lardons
2 x 410g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
100ml white wine
100ml chicken stock, hot
Handful fresh flatleaf parsley or tarragon, chopped
3 tbsp crème fraîche
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6. Mix together the mascarpone, Parmesan, lemon zest, a squeeze of juice, tarragon, salt and pepper. Carefully slide your finger between the skin and the meat of the chicken to create a pocket and push a quarter of the mascarpone mix under the skin. Spread evenly and repeat with the remaining chicken.
2. Place the chicken in a non-stick roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil, season and roast for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, for the stew, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and fry over a medium heat until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then add the bacon and fry until golden. Stir in the beans and white wine and bubble over a high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the stock, simmer for 2-3 minutes, then stir through the parsley and crème fraîche. To serve, pile the beans onto 4 plates and top with the chicken.
- Buy chicken supremes from your butcher, or use chicken legs or thighs – if using thighs, you’ll need 2 per person. Serve it with Buttered cabbage and leeks followed by
- A full-flavoured, rich Italian white is apt here, so go for a ripe, modern style, such as Sicilian Chardonnay or local grape Inzolia.