Almond cake in spiced citrus syrup
- July 2007
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 45 min, oven time 45 min, plus cooling
Try this moreish almond cake recipe, made with oranges and lemons to give it a citrus kick, and added spices for additional flavour.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 21.2g (2.6g saturated)
- 53.2g (49.9g sugars)
- Butter, for greasing
- 6 medium eggs, separated
- 225g caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp extra
- 230g ground almonds
- Finely grated zest of 2 oranges
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
For the syrup
- 50g caster sugar
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 star anise
- 1 large cinnamon stick
- 2 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
For the orange fruit salad
- 4 oranges
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 2 tbsp orange blossom water (from major supermarkets)
- 1 pomegranate (optional)
- Few fresh mint leaves, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm round, deep springform cake tin with baking paper. Put the egg yolks and 225g sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric hand whisk, beat for a few minutes until pale and thick. Fold in the almonds and zests. It will be quite stiff at this stage.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the egg whites with the extra sugar to soft peaks. Mix a little into the almond mixture to loosen, then gently fold in the rest until combined. Pour into the tin and bake for 45 min or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup. Put the sugar and fruit juices into a small pan with the spices and leave over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 min, until syrupy. Strain into a bowl and cool slightly.
- For the orange salad, slice the top and bottom off each orange, then slice away the skin and pith. Cut horizontally into thin slices and overlap on a serving plate. Sprinkle over the sugar and orange water.
- Cut the pomegranate in half and, working over a bowl, tap the base of each half with a rolling pin to knock out the seeds. Set aside.
- Invert the cake onto a plate and pierce the base all over with a fine skewer. Spoon over the syrup, giving it time to soak in.
- Just before serving, scatter the pomegranate seeds and mint over the salad, and serve with slices of cake.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...