Bacon, cheese and tomato quiche
- October 2009
For the pastry
- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 100g butter, plus extra for greasing
For the filling
- 200g smoked back or streaky Freedom Food labelled bacon, chopped
- 250g Freedom Food labelled Cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- 5 Freedom Food labelled eggs, beaten
- 100ml milk
- 200ml double cream
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme, stalks discarded
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until you have a soft breadcrumb texture. Add enough cold water (about 2 tbsp) to form a firm dough. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a well-buttered, deep-sided 22cm flan dish. Don’t cut off the excess pastry yet. Chill again for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Line the bottom of the pastry case with baking parchment or foil, then fill with baking beans. (See our how-to video below.) Place on a baking tray and bake blind for 15-20 minutes. Remove the baking beans and parchment or foil, and return to the oven to bake for a further 5 minutes. Using a sharp knife trim the excess pastry so that you have neat edges. Set aside.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Fry the bacon pieces until crisp, then drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle the cheese over the pastry base. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on the cheese and scatter the bacon on top.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and cream in a bowl and season well. Pour over the bacon and cheese. Sprinkle the thyme leaves over the surface. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the filling is just set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool before serving.
This quiche recipe is taken from TV chef James Martin’s book The Great British Village Show Cookbook, in support of the RSPCA’s Freedom Food campaign.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sponsored by Yeo Valley Organic
Cheddar quiche with smoked bacon, onion and roasted red pepper
Make and freeze this indulgent cheddar and bacon quiche ahead of time, then cook from...