Barley, aubergine and pomegranate salad
- August 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 40 min, Simmering time 40 min
A make-ahead salad recipe, with pearl barley and aubergine, that’s great for a packed lunch or picnic on a summery day.
- 10.4g (1.5g saturated)
- 33.2g (5.7g sugars)
- 200g pearl barley
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 aubergines (about 500g), thickly sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 80g pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp each fresh mint, parsley and coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Handful rocket leaves
- Cook the pearl barley according to the packet instructions (about 40 minutes). Drain, refresh under cold water to cool and drain well. Put in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over a high heat. Put the olive oil in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, then brush all over the aubergine slices. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until charred and tender. Set aside until cool, then roughly chop. Add to the pearl barley with the tomatoes, red onion and half the pomegranate seeds.
- Put the remaining pomegranate seeds in a small sieve. Using a wooden spoon, press out all the juice from the seeds into a small bowl. Discard the seeds in the sieve, then whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil, pomegranate molasses and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in the herbs and dressing, then serve scattered with the rocket leaves.
Make the salad and dressing up to the end of step 4 a day ahead and store in separate airtight containers in the fridge.
An off-dry rosé makes a juicy match for the barley salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Middle Eastern chickpea and aubergine salad
With chickpeas, aubergines, halloumi and roasted garlic, this quick vegetarian...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter