Barley, aubergine and pomegranate salad
- August 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 40 min, Simmering time 40 min
A make-ahead salad recipe, with pearl barley and aubergine, that’s great for a packed lunch or picnic on a summery day.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10.4g (1.5g saturated)
- 33.2g (5.7g sugars)
- 200g pearl barley
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 aubergines (about 500g), thickly sliced
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 80g pomegranate seeds
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 2 tbsp each fresh mint, parsley and coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Handful rocket leaves
- Cook the pearl barley according to the packet instructions (about 40 minutes). Drain, refresh under cold water to cool and drain well. Put in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan over a high heat. Put the olive oil in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, then brush all over the aubergine slices. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until charred and tender. Set aside until cool, then roughly chop. Add to the pearl barley with the tomatoes, red onion and half the pomegranate seeds.
- Put the remaining pomegranate seeds in a small sieve. Using a wooden spoon, press out all the juice from the seeds into a small bowl. Discard the seeds in the sieve, then whisk in the extra-virgin olive oil, pomegranate molasses and a little salt and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving, stir in the herbs and dressing, then serve scattered with the rocket leaves.
Make the salad and dressing up to the end of step 4 a day ahead and store in separate airtight containers in the fridge.
An off-dry rosé makes a juicy match for the barley salad.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Middle Eastern chickpea and aubergine salad
With chickpeas, aubergines, halloumi and roasted garlic, this quick vegetarian salad recipe makes a substantial...