Roast aubergine salad with chickpeas and tamarind
- June 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 5 min, oven time 10-15 min
Aubergine has the power to turn side salads into mains — you’ll love the meaty texture it adds to this hearty salad recipe from Anjali Pathak.
If you love the combination of aubergine and chickpeas, give Elly Pear’s aubergine, tomato and chickpea traybake a try.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 13g (3.5g saturated)
- 17g (8.3g sugars)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tbsp tamarind paste (widely available)
- 1½ tbsp clear honey
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds, lightly toasted in a dry frying pan, then roughly crushed with a pestle and mortar
- 2 large aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 large red chilli
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 200g tinned chickpeas, drained
- 100g rocket leaves
- Juice ½ lime
- 60g feta (optional)
- Heat a griddle pan over a fairly high heat or, if using the oven to cook the aubergines (see tip), heat to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Make the marinade/dressing by mixing together the olive oil, tamarind, honey, garlic, cumin and some salt and cracked black pepper.
- Rub half the marinade on the aubergine slices and whole chilli, then cook in the hot griddle pan for around 10 minutes, turning twice, until soft. If using the oven, spread out on a baking sheet and bake for around 15 minutes, turning once.
- Once the aubergines are cooked, roughly chop the chilli. Toss the red onion, chickpeas and rocket with the lime juice and remaining dressing in a bowl. Mix in the aubergine and chopped chilli, then serve, sprinkled with crumbled feta if you fancy it.
A recipe from Secrets from My Indian Family Kitchen by Anjali Pathak (£12.99; Mitchell Beazley)
“This is perfect to have when you fancy something that’s good for you but you feel in need of a few carbohydrates to bulk it out. Aubergines are one of the best ingredients to pair with spices as they are like sponges and soak up any favours you put them with. You can either cook the aubergines in a griddle pan or roast them in an oven. Here I’ve made a marinade that handily doubles as a dressing.” Anjali Pathak
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Middle Eastern chickpea and aubergine salad
With chickpeas, aubergines, halloumi and roasted garlic, this quick vegetarian salad recipe makes a substantial...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...