Middle Eastern chickpea and aubergine salad
- August 2011
- Serves 4-6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 25-30 minutes to cook
With chickpeas, aubergines, halloumi and roasted garlic, this quick vegetarian salad recipe makes a substantial main meal.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 20.3g (8.1g saturated)
- 11.9g (4.2g sugars)
Based on 6 servings
- 2 aubergines, cut into 2cm thick rounds, then into half moons
- 1 garlic bulb, cloves separated
- 1-2 tbsp harissa paste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced(optional)
- 250g pack halloumi, sliced
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 70g bag wild rocket
- Handful of fresh coriander, leaves picked
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Put the aubergines and garlic in a roasting tin with the harissa and 1 tbsp of the olive oil. Toss well, season and roast for 20-25 minutes until tender and golden. Add the chickpeas to the roasting tin for the last 4-5 minutes of the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, pour boiling water over the onion and set aside for 5 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold water, then set aside.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and put the contents, plus the onion, in a serving bowl.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and fry the halloumi on both sides, along with the chilli (if using), until the cheese is golden. Break up and add to the serving bowl.
- Whisk the lemon zest and 1 tbsp lemon juice with the extra-virgin and rapeseed oils. Season, then pour the dressing over the contents of the serving bowl. Add the rocket and coriander, toss gently and serve.
Rate & review