Beetroot and mint jelly
- September 2006
- Makes about 600g
- Takes 50 minutes to make, plus cooling
This beetroot and mint soft-set jelly recipe is great served with roast pork or lamb.
- trace (trace saturated)
- 8.2g (8g sugars)
- 3-4 medium beetroot (about 450g in total)
- 4 garlic cloves (optional)
- 1 red chilli (optional)
- 250ml cider vinegar
- 250ml apple juice
- 200ml apple pectin (or 1 tbsp of the powdered version), from Tesco or Sainsbury’s
- 250g granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g fresh mint leaves
- Wearing rubber gloves, peel and grate the beetroot into a bowl. Finely chop the garlic and chilli, if using, and stir into the beetroot. Transfer to a large pan with the vinegar, apple juice, pectin, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer and cook for 40-45 minutes. It should be thickened and coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Roughly chop the mint leaves and stir into the pan. Transfer to sterilised jars and cool. Eat immediately or keep in a cool place for up to 6 months.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter