Bibimbap (Korean rice bowl)
- June 2018
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 15 min
A filling bowlful of rice with colour, texture and great taste that’s ready in minutes – give your taste buds a treat with this bibimbap recipe for one.
Looking for something else? We have lots more recipes for 1 person for you to try.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 35.3g (10.7g saturated)
- 50g (11.9g sugars)
- 100g British beef mince
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp gochujang paste (Korean fermented soybean chilli paste, from most large supermarkets), sriracha or similar chilli sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Toasted sesame oil for frying
- 200g pack stir-fry vegetables
- 60g baby leaf spinach
- 1 large free-range egg
- 130g pouch steamed basmati rice
- Sesame seeds to serve
- Kimchi to serve (optional; we like Kim Kong kimchi from Planet Organic and Amazon Fresh)
- Using a wooden spoon, combine the beef mince, garlic, vinegar, gochujang and soy sauce in a medium bowl. Heat a glug of sesame oil in a wok or frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mince and stir fry over a high heat for 4-5 minutes until browned and cooked through, then transfer to a plate.
- Wipe out the pan, add another splash of sesame oil, add the stir-fry vegetables and cook, stirring, over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until starting to soften. Add the spinach and a splash of water and cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted.
- Transfer the vegetables to a bowl. Heat another splash of sesame oil in the same pan, then crack in the egg and fry for 3-4 minutes until the white is set and crisp at the edges. Meanwhile, heat the rice according to the pack instructions.
- Put the rice in a shallow bowl, top with the beef mince and vegetables, followed by the fried egg. Drizzle with a little extra gochujang (or other chilli sauce), thinned with a little hot water, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with kimchi alongside, if using.
You can use any minced meat or vegetables you fancy for this recipe.
Kimchi is a spicy/garlicky fermented Korean relish – it’s very moreish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy lunch recipes
Fish finger kimchi rice with edamame and a fried egg
Make use of that reliable box of fish fingers in your freezer with this Korean-style...