Braised little gems
- May 2011
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g smoked bacon lardons
- Knob of butter, plus a little extra
- 4 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 5 little gem lettuces, halved lengthways
- 150ml white wine
- 200ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large shallow casserole, then fry the bacon until it’s crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add the butter. When it begins to foam, add the shallots to the pan. Soften over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the little gems, bacon and shallots in an ovenproof dish. Season, drizzle with any pan juices and dot with a little more butter.
- Pour the white wine and stock over the lettuce halves, then cover the dish tightly with foil. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes or until the lettuces are tender. Stir in the cream, then adjust the seasoning to taste. Serve with crusty bread for mopping up the juices.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Summer stew recipes and pot roasts
Chicken with beans, braised little gems and garlic yogurt
Did you know, you can do more with little gem...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter