Buttermilk strawberry shortcake
- June 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 10-12 min
Shortcakes are a mix between a shortbread biscuit and a classic scone, so you get the butteriness of one and the crumbliness of the other. Combine with strawberries and cream and you have yourself an unbeatable summer’s afternoon treat.
- 30.5g (18.4g saturated)
- 39.7g (15.3g sugars)
For the strawberries and cream
- 200g ripe strawberries, hulled, sliced or quartered if large
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 120ml chilled double cream
For the shortcakes
- 125g plain flour, plus extra to dust
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- ⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- 60g cold unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra to grease
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp buttermilk (or milk with a squeeze of lemon in it)
You’ll also need…
- 7cm round or fluted cutter; baking sheet, greased and lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 6. Put the strawberries in a bowl and stir in half the 1 tbsp caster sugar. Set aside to macerate for about 15 minutes or so until the berries have softened slightly and released a little of their juice.
- Next, make the shortcakes. Sift the flour and baking powder into a medium mixing bowl. Add the 2 tbsp sugar and the salt. Cut in the cold butter with a round-bladed knife until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Lightly stir in the egg and buttermilk/milk, ensuring you don’t overwork the dough. Roll or pat out the dough on a floured board to about 2cm thick. Flour the cutter and cut out 4 circles. Gently gather together the leftover dough and pat out again, if necessary, to make the final shortcake.
- Transfer the shortcakes to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from the oven, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Whip the double cream with the remaining sugar in a mixing bowl until it forms very soft, floppy peaks. Cut the shortcakes in half and top with a generous dollop of the cream, a pile of strawberries and a spoonful of the strawberry juices. Top with the other half of the shortcake and eat straightaway.
Rate & review