Mulled cranberry sauce
- December 2011
- Serves 6-8 people
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 12 minutes to cook
This mulled cranberry sauce recipe – with ginger and cinnamon – has a real kick to it – serve alongside bread sauce and turkey gravy for the ultimate in Christmas side dishes.
- 0.1g (trace saturated)
- 8.8g (9g sugars)
For 8 servings
- 50ml tawny port
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, finely grated, plus extra (optional)
- Grated zest and juice of ½ orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 50g caster sugar, plus extra (optional)
- 375g cranberries
- Put the port, ginger, orange zest and juice, cinnamon stick and sugar into a pan and gently heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Add the cranberries and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes until they begin to burst and the sauce starts to thicken. Add more sugar or spice to taste, then set aside and allow to cool completely before serving.
You can make the cranberry sauce up to 1 week beforehand. While it’s still hot, pour into a 450ml sterilised jam jar and seal.
FREEZE: let the finished sauce cool then freeze, sealed in a freezer bag or container, for up to 6 months. Defrost at room temperature overnight.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Classic cranberry sauce
You can make this classic cranberry sauce recipe in advance, for a homemade taste without...