Caramel orange pavlovas
- December 2006
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes to make, 45 minutes in the oven, plus cooling
Easy meringues and oranges dripping with gooey caramel make perfect partners in this dessert recipe.
- 25.5g (15.8g saturated)
- 73g (68.8g sugar)
- 3 large egg whites
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 284ml carton double cream
For the caramel oranges
- 175g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp orange-flavoured liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 3 large oranges
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan120°C/gas 1. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and line with non-stick baking paper. Put the egg whites and a small pinch of salt into a large bowl and whisk to stiff peaks. Slowly whisk in the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until it’s a glossy meringue. Whisk in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Drop 6 large tablespoonfuls of the meringue, spaced well apart, onto the baking sheet and shape each 1 with the back of the spoon into a 8cm round with a slight dip in the centre. Bake for 45 minutes, until firm. Turn off the oven and leave them inside to cool completely. Store in an airtight container until needed.
- Make the caramel oranges. Put the sugar and 4 tablespoons water into a small pan and leave over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat and boil rapidly until it’s a rich amber colour. Plunge the base of the pan into a sink half-filled with cold water to stop it from cooking any further. Then stand back (it will splutter) and add the orange liqueur and 5 tablespoons of water. Return to a low heat and stir until the caramel has dissolved. Cool. Pour into a small jug, cover and set aside.
- Thinly top and tail each orange, then slice away all the skin and pith. Slice either side of the membrane to remove each orange segment neatly. Place in a dish, cover and set aside.
- One hour before serving, drain away any juices from the oranges and spoon over 4 tablespoons of the prepared caramel. Set aside.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks, spoon into the centre of each pavlova and top with the caramel oranges. Drizzle with more caramel to serve.
The pavlovas, caramel and orange segments can be done the day before. Store the pavlovas in an airtight container, the caramel in a screw-top jar and the oranges covered in a bowl in the fridge.
Rate & review