Little coffee pavlovas
- March 2018
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 1 hour
”This may seem like a strange combination but it works beautifully. Blackcurrants grow in our garden in Sweden and every year my father makes a tart jam with them, which is great for scooping onto ice cream.” – Steffi Knowles-Dellner
- 26.7g (17.5g saturated)
- 41.3g (41.1g sugars)
- no fibre
- 3 medium free-range egg whites, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- ½ tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 125g mascarpone
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tbsp coffee liqueur (optional)
- 100g blackcurrant jam
- Cocoa powder to dust
- Heat the oven to 120°C/100°C fan/gas 1 and line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper. Draw4 x 8-10cm circles (or 6 circles – see tips) on the baking paper, then flip.
- In a large, clean glass bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electric hand mixer until peaks start to form. Whisk in the caster sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, until glossy. Whisk in the espresso powder, then the cornflour. Pile the mixture onto the baking paper circles, swirling as you go.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for 1 hour until crisp outside and dry on the base, then leave to cool on wire racks.
- Beat the mascarpone in a large bowl until smooth, then add the cream. Whisk until soft peaks form, then add the icing sugar, vanilla extract and coffee liqueur, if using. Swirl through about half the jam, then spoon onto the meringues. Loosen the remaining jam with a little water to a drizzle-able consistency, then drizzle over the pavlovas. Dust with a little cocoa powder and serve immediately.
If feeding 6 people make 6 smaller pavlovas (about 7-8cm) and bake for about 50 minutes. Freeze leftover egg yolks (add a pinch of salt or sugar to stop the yolks crystallising) in a freezer bag marked with the number of yolks and the date.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...