- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 4 slices good white bread
- 2 free-range English ham slices
- 60g mature cheddar, grated
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 25g butter
- Beat the eggs in a wide, shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper. Dunk the bread slices in the mixture one by one, pressing well so the bread absorbs as much egg as possible, then lay them out on a baking sheet.
- Put a slice of ham on 2 of the eggy bread slices, then sprinkle over half the cheese. Spread the mustard over the other 2 bread slices, then put them, mustard-side down, on top of the ham and cheese slices to make a sandwich. Heat the grill to high.
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan until foaming,then add the sandwiches. (If your pan is too small, cook the sandwiches one by one, using half the butter each time.) After 2 minutes or so they should be nicely golden brown. Turn and cook on the other side until golden.
- Transfer the sandwiches to a foil-lined baking tray, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and grill for 2-3 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve straightaway.