Caramelised chicory and onion tarte tatin
- March 2010
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 minutes plus 45-50 minutes cooking time
Cooking chicory gives it a more mellow flavour and a melting texture – perfect for this tarte tatin recipe.
- 33.5g (18g saturated)
- 32.8g carbs (9.2g sugars)
- Plain flour, for dusting
- 230g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 50g unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 25g caster sugar
- Small bunch fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 4-5 white or red chicory, ends trimmed, halved lengthways
- 75g soft goat’s cheese, crumbled, plus extra to serve
- Handful toasted pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry a little, then trim into a rough 25cm circle (use a dinner plate as a guide). Prick all over with a fork, then chill on a plate. Discard the trimmings.
- Melt half the butter in a 22cm heavy-based ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft and lightly browned. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining butter in the frying pan, then sprinkle the sugar into the pan in an even layer. Cook over a low heat, but do not stir, until the sugar has melted. Increase the heat and cook until caramelised.
- Remove the pan from the heat, scatter the thyme over the caramel, then top with the chicory halves, as many as you can fit in a single layer, cut-side down. Season well, scatter with the cheese and most of the pine nuts, then spoon over the onions.
- Drape the pastry over the pan and tuck the edges in around the filling. Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden and risen. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for a few minutes before turning out onto a platter. Sprinkle with a little more cheese and pine nuts just before serving.
Raw chicory leaves make for a deliciously sharp winter salad – great with strong and creamy cheeses.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...