Cheat’s trout fishcakes with herby crème fraîche
- April 2008
- 450g shop-bought (or leftover) mashed potato
- Small handful chopped fresh chives
- 1½ tbsp capers, drained, rinsed
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 125g hot smoked trout fillets, flaked
- 20g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Bag of mixed salad and some lemon wedges to serve
For the herby crème fraîche
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mixed herbs (mint, parsley, dill)
- 4 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix the mashed potato with the chives, capers, the zest of 1 lemon, a little salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Fold in the trout flakes. Form into 4 cakes, cover and chill for 15 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Combine the mixed herbs, crème fraîche, the zest of 1 lemon along with the lemon juice and some seasoning. Set aside while you cook the fishcakes.
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat until sizzling. Add the fishcakes and fry for 3-4 minutes each side, until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper. Serve with the sauce, a mixed salad and some lemon wedges to squeeze over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Grilled trout, bacon and almond salad
A quick and easy grilled trout recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes.