Cheesy scallop gratin
- February 2022
- Serves 2 (as a starter)
- Hands-on time 15 min, plus oven time 15 min
This cheesy scallop gratin makes the perfect romantic starter and cooks in just 15 mins. Serve as part of our one-hour Valentine’s Day menu, followed by truffled mushroom pasta and caramel lava puddings.
- 18.8g (11.4g saturated)
- 17.5g (3g sugars)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- Glug white wine or sherry
- 4 tbsp single cream
- Heaped ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp freshly snipped chives
- 125g frozen sustainable raw scallops, defrosted (we used M&S Wild Atlantic Canadian raw scallops)
- 25g breadcrumbs (sourdough or end of baguette/ciabatta whizzed in a processor)
- 30g parmesan or gruyère, grated
- 1 tsp finely chopped flatleaf parsley
You’ll also need
- 2 scallop shells or small shallow dishes/ramekins
- Melt the butter in a small pan over a medium heat, then stir in the flour and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until it smells toasty (3-4 minutes).
- Briskly stir/whisk in the milk, wine and cream until smooth, then cook, stirring, for another 3-4 minutes until thickened and the flour is cooked out (you can’t feel any graininess in the sauce). Mix in the dijon mustard and chives, then set aside to cool for 5 minutes or so.
- Stir the scallops into the sauce, then divide evenly between the scallop shells or dishes, smoothing the surface.
- Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley, then sprinkle over the surface of the scallops. Arrange the shells on an oven tray, propped up with scrunched foil to keep them level and steady. Chill until ready to bake.
- When ready to bake, heat the oven to 190ºC fan/gas 7, then bake for 15 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the top is golden brown. Serve.
Prepare up to the end of step 4 up to a day ahead. Cover and chill until ready to bake. For speed, whizz the end slice of bread in a mini processor with the cheese and parsley – no need to grate or chop. For an even quicker ready-to cook version, buy coquilles st jacques from M&S, Ocado or Waitrose.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Scallops with lemon, basil and chilli brown butter
We used delicious. Produce Award-winning scallops, from The Ethical Shellfish Company, to create this simple...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...