Slow-cooked duck ragù
- December 2018
- Serves 8-10
- Hands-on time 45 min, simmering time 2½ hours
This gorgeously rich, slow-cooked duck ragù is easy to make and great for using up leftover gravy and stock. It’s a time investment, but makes enough for up to 10 people so you can enjoy it again another night if you’re not feeding a crowd.
Want to take it up a notch? Make your own pasta too.
- 40.6g (11.3g saturated)
- 9.3g (6.3g sugars)
- 8 free-range duck legs
- 200g sliced pancetta, roughly chopped
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 300ml dry white wine
- 500ml passata
- 200ml gravy (turkey, chicken or beef)
- 300ml stock (ideally chicken, turkey or duck, but beef will also work)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig (optional)
- Pappardelle pasta to serve
- Heat a large, wide casserole over a medium high heat. Brown the duck legs on both sides until the skin is crisp (in batches if you need to) then set aside. Wipe out most of the fat, turn the heat down to medium and brown the pancetta. Set aside with the duck and again wipe out most of the fat.
- Turn the heat down slightly, then add the onions and cook for 10 minutes until softened and golden. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the wine, turn up the heat so it bubbles and cook until reduced by half.
- Add the passata, gravy, stock, bay leaves and rosemary (if using), then bring to the boil and return the duck and pancetta to the pan. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 2 hours 30 minutes or until the duck is very tender.
- Shred the meat, discarding the skin and bones, then season. Cook the pasta according to pack instructions, drain and toss with the ragù to serve.
This recipe is a bit special. It’s a time investment but makes enough for 2 meals that each serve 4. To store, cool the remaining ragù completely, then transfer to an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and gently reheat in a pan until piping hot.
Rate & review
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...