Chicken and chickpeas with zesty breadcrumbs
- September 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 25 min, plus resting
This simple chicken and chickpea dinner recipe can be mostly made with ingredients you’ll most-likely find in the storecupboard.
Or, for something a little healthier, try Donal Skehan’s tomato-braised chicken with chickpeas.
- 17.1g (3.3g saturated)
- 30g (3.3g sugars)
- Glug olive oil
- 2 small handfuls dried breadcrumbs
- 6-8 skin-on free-range chicken thighs
- 2 small onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 x 400g tins chickpeas
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Small bunch fresh parsley
- 1 lemon
- Put a large frying pan over a medium heat and heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Pour the oil into the pan, add the breadcrumbs, season, then cook for 3-4 minutes, tossing, until lightly golden. Tip into a bowl to cool.
- Put the pan over a high heat and add the chicken thighs, skin-side down. Season the meat and fry for 5 minutes or until the skin is golden. Turn over, fry for 30 seconds, then put in a baking tray, skin-side up, and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the onions and slice the garlic. Fry the onions in the pan over a medium heat, stirring often, for 5-6 minutes until golden and softened. Add the garlic and fry for 2 minutes more. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add with the tomatoes. Season and simmer briskly, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and rest for 2-3 minutes.
- Finely chop the parsley and grate the zest of the lemon. Mix both with the breadcrumbs to make the zesty topping, then season.
- Stir any chicken juices through the chickpeas, then divide among plates. Slice the thighs, removing the bones, and arrange on top of the chickpeas, then scatter with some zesty breadcrumbs. Serve with lemon wedges and the rest of the breadcrumbs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy dinner ideas
Chicken schnitzels with quick fennel and apple sauerkraut
These chicken schnitzels take just 30 minutes to make, making them perfect for a fuss-free...