Chicken and cucumber risotto
- April 2011
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook
A light and refreshing risotto recipe made with just five ingredients. Perfect for a quick and easy mid-week meal.
- 15g (6.1g saturated)
- 73g (2.3g sugar)
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 350g risotto rice
- ½ cucumber, coarsely grated
- and excess liquid squeezed out
- 100g Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra shavings to garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put the chicken breasts in a large pan, cover with 1.5 litres water and bring to simmering point. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes until just cooked through. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid, set aside and finely slice. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan and gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the risotto rice and stir to coat for 1-2 minutes, then add the reserved stock a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly. Make sure the rice has fully absorbed each ladleful before adding more (you will need 1.2-1.3 litres of stock).
- Once the rice is almost cooked, season well, then stir in the chicken, grated cucumber and Parmesan. Cover with a lid, remove from the heat and leave to stand for a couple of minutes before serving topped with Parmesan shavings.
If you’re not a meat eater, poach a couple of skinless salmon fillets instead of the chicken breasts and finish the risotto with chopped tarragon.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Baked chicken, mushroom and thyme brown rice risotto
Who has the time to stir risotto these days? Simply combine the ingredients and the...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...