Smoky bacon and leek risotto
- February 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 20 min
Instead of using lots of butter and parmesan, we’ve stirred through a little goat’s cheese at the end to give this dish the desired richness.
For an alternative, take a look at our similar recipe leek, goat’s cheese and crispy bacon risotto, which uses unsmoked streaky bacon instead of smoked.
- 16.1g (6g saturated)
- 54.2g (2.7g sugars)
- Rapeseed oil for frying
- Large handful fresh sage leaves
- 4 smoked streaky bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 large leek, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250g arborio risotto rice
- 150ml dry white wine
- 750ml hot vegetable stock
- 80g soft goat’s cheese
- Heat the oven to 200°C/ 180°C fan/gas 6. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan over a medium heat, then fry the sage until crisp. Set aside on a plate and tip out half the oil. Fry the bacon over a medium heat until crisp on both sides. Set half aside with the sage.
- Add the leek to the rest of the bacon in the pan and cook for 5 minutes until softened and lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then stir in the rice and turn up the heat slightly. Add the wine and let it bubble. When the wine has reduced by half, stir in the stock, then transfer to a baking dish with a tight- fitting lid and cook with the lid on for 20 minutes or until the rice is tender but still has bite and the stock is absorbed.
- Stir in the most of the goat’s cheese until melted, then serve the risotto with the remaining bacon, cheese and sage scattered on top.
Use the same amount of pearl barley instead of arborio rice.
Instead of stirring in butter and parmesan at the end, we’ve used a little soft goat’s cheese, which still gives the dish the desired richness and flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Leek risotto with kale pesto and crispy prosciutto
Elevate homemade leek risotto into a restaurant-worthy dish with kale pesto and crispy prosciutto. This...
Bacon, leek and tomato risotto
A creamy risotto dish with rashers of bacon, leeks, tomatoes and shavings of parmesan; the...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...