Chicken, leek and bacon bake
- December 2011
- Serves 2
- 10 minutes to make, 35-40 minutes to cook
This chicken, leek and bacon bake is a throw-it-all-together-and-bung-it-in-the-oven kind of dish. The ideal midweek meal.
- 300g charlotte potatoes, or any waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 25g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 100g smoked lardons
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 leek, sliced
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked, plus extra for sprinkling
- 130g pack ready-cooked chicken slices (we like British Roast Chicken Slices from M&S)
- 100ml chicken stock, hot
- 100g ready-grated cheese such as Gruyère or Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the sliced potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water and simmer for 3 minutes. Drain, then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt half the butter in a frying pan over a gentle heat, add the lardons and cook until beginning to crisp. Stir in the rest of the butter, the garlic, leek and thyme, then cover with baking paper and sauté gently over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Butter 2 shallow 300ml baking dishes, then add a layer each of potatoes, leek mix and chicken slices, seasoning as you go and finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Pour over the hot stock, scatter over the cheese, then sprinkle with extra thyme.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling and cooked through – cover with foil if the top begins to brown too much.
Make this without the chicken in one medium-size ovenproof dish and cook for about 30 minutes for a great side dish.
Rate & review