Chickpeas with winter vegetables and saffron
- December 2005
- Serves 6
- Ready in 1 hour
This Turkish recipe is a wintry version of turlu turlu, a version of ratatouille with chickpeas.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 10g (1.4g saturated)
- 36.2g (11.7g sugar)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, roughly diced
- 2 parsnips, roughly diced
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into wedges
- 2 waxy potatoes, roughly diced
- 1 tsp salt
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 300ml vegetable stock, hot
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 small piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- ½ tsp dried mint
- ½ tsp crushed chillies (optional)
- 400g can whole plum tomatoes
- 400g can chickpeas
- Heat half the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the carrots, parsnips, fennel, potatoes and salt, cover and cook, stirring, for 10-12 minutes, until softened. Remove everything with a slotted spoon and set aside on a plate.
- Meanwhile, soak the saffron in the hot stock and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and fry the garlic and ginger until it is just browning. Add the onions, mint and chillies, stir well, and continue to fry quite briskly.
- Tip the tomatoes into a sieve to discard the juice, then add to the pan. Bring to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and their juices and return the vegetables to the pan. Pour over the stock and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring halfway, until tender. Season to taste, then serve.
The original recipe uses aubergines, courgettes and peppers instead of root vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes that will make you excited for autumn
Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans and chickpeas, as a healthy...
Quick squash, kale and butter bean stew
Try our healthy, vegetarian stew recipe – it makes a warming midweek meal and it’s...