Quick squash, kale and butter bean stew
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 25-30 min
Try our healthy, vegetarian stew recipe – it makes a warming midweek meal and it’s a good source of meat-free protein too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.1g (1g saturated)
- 36.6g (21.2g sugars)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 200g kale, roughly chopped
- 400g tin butter beans
- Juice 1 lemon, plus extra
- Greek yogurt to serve
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the squash cubes. Boil for 10-15 minutes until just tender, then drain. Keep the water.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes, then add the garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the drained squash and 300ml of the reserved squash water, topping up with more water if the stew looks a bit dry. Simmer for 5 minutes until the squash is very tender. Stir in the kale, butter beans and lemon juice, then simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste, then serve with yogurt and extra lemon, if you like.
Rate & review