Quick squash, kale and butter bean stew
- January 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, simmering time 25-30 min
Try our healthy, vegetarian stew recipe – it makes a warming midweek meal and it’s a good source of meat-free protein too.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 8.1g (1g saturated)
- 36.6g (21.2g sugars)
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 200g kale, roughly chopped
- 400g tin butter beans
- Juice 1 lemon, plus extra
- Greek yogurt to serve
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil, then add the squash cubes. Boil for 10-15 minutes until just tender, then drain. Keep the water.
- Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes, then add the garlic, cumin and coriander. Cook for 2 minutes, then stir in the chopped tomatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the drained squash and 300ml of the reserved squash water, topping up with more water if the stew looks a bit dry. Simmer for 5 minutes until the squash is very tender. Stir in the kale, butter beans and lemon juice, then simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste, then serve with yogurt and extra lemon, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Farmhouse chicken casserole with carrots, leeks and potato
This creamy chicken casserole is made with potatoes, carrots, leeks and fresh herbs for a...
Slow-cooked squid with white beans, bacon and lemon
”Beans, smoked bacon and tinned tomatoes form the basis of this slow-cooked dish, but I...