Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
- December 2014
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min, simmering time 20-30 min
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans and chickpeas, as a healthy midweek meal.
- 6.2g (0.9g saturated)
- 38.4g (14.5g sugars)
- 2 red onions
- ½ large butternut squash or 1 sweet potato
- 1 leek
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika (pimentón)
- 390g chopped tomatoes with chilli (we like Cirio, available from larger supermarkets)
- 450ml vegetable stock
- 400g tin butterbeans
- 400g tin chickpeas
- 200g spinach
- Greek yogurt (optional)
- Slice the red onions into wedges. Peel and cut the squash or sweet potato into 2cm cubes. Slice the leek at an angle.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. When hot, add the onions, squash/sweet potato, leek and paprika, then fry for 10 minutes or until the veg take on some colour.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stock, then simmer for 15-20 minutes. Drain and rinse the butterbeans and chickpeas, then stir them through the stew along with the spinach. Simmer for 5-10 minutes more. Taste and season, then serve with Greek yogurt, if you like.
Rate & review