Chocolate and churros
- April 2011
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 10 mins, plus 4-5 mins cooking time per batch
This is our version of the classic Spanish weekend breakfast indulgence: a combination of doughnut-like churros with thick hot chocolate. It’s a decadent and chocolatey treat for an Easter or Mother’s Day breakfast.
Or, try spicing things up at any time of day with Martha Collison’s chilli chocolate churros.
- 52.7g (25.9g saturated)
- 49.1g (31.4g sugars)
- 200g good-quality dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 200ml double cream
For the churros
- 75g unsalted butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 3 large free-range eggs, beaten
- Sunflower oil for frying
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Break the chocolate into pieces and heat gently in a small pan with the syrup and cream, stirring now and then, until mixed. Keep warm.
- For the churros, heat 250ml water and the butter in a non-stick pan until boiling vigorously. Tip in the salt and flour, then beat for 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens and forms a ball. Remove from the heat and gradually beat in the eggs to make a smooth, thick batter.
- Heat 5-8cm oil in a deep pan or wok. The oil should reach 180°C on a thermometer (when a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds). While it heats, mix the cinnamon and sugar on a large plate.
- Spoon the batter into a piping bag fitted with a large star-shaped nozzle. Carefully pipe the mixture directly into the pan, cutting it off at the nozzle with a knife to give roughly 12cm lengths. Cook for 2 minutes on each side until cooked through and golden, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- While still warm, roll the churros in the cinnamon sugar. Pour the chocolate into small cups or dipping bowls and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot chocolate with churros
Churros are sweet doughy snacks that originate from Spain. These treats are fried then dipped...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...