Chorizo-and-sage-stuffed roast partridge
- January 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes 30 minutes to make and 30 minutes in the oven
Make this partridge recipe when the game bird is in season during the winter months. It’s perfect for serving the bird as an individual portion at a dinner party.
- 38.9g (14g saturated)
- 34.8g (4.6g sugars)
- 6 partridges, livers reserved for the stuffing if you like
- 12 thick-cut unsmoked streaky bacon rashers
- Fresh sage leaves, to garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the stuffing
- 50g butter
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 150g piece chorizo, finely chopped
- Partridge livers, chopped (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 12 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Small bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
For the gravy
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300ml red wine
- 600ml fresh chicken stock, hot
- 1 heaped tbsp redcurrant jelly
- First, make the stuffing. Heat the butter in a large frying pan and cook the shallots for 2-3 minutes, until they begin to soften. Stir in the chorizo and cook slowly until the oils and juices are released. Add the chopped partridge livers, if using, then stir in the garlic and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add the breadcrumbs, chopped sage, lemon zest and juice, and season with a little salt and plenty of ground black pepper. Stir in the chopped parsley.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the body cavities of the partridges, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then cover with bacon and dot with sage leaves. Arrange in a shallow roasting tin and drizzle with the olive oil. Roast for about 20 minutes. Remove the bacon from the birds, leaving the rashers in the tin, and cook the partridges for a further 10 minutes, until golden.
- Remove the partridges from the tin, placing the bacon rashers back on top of the birds. Transfer them to a serving dish and cover with foil to keep hot.
- Make the gravy. Place the roasting tin on the hob over a gentle heat. Add the flour to the pan, mixing it with the cooking juices and oils and any stuffing mixture that has fallen out of the partridges. Pour in the red wine and bubble for a few minutes, then add the stock and redcurrant jelly and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce has thickened slightly. Season to taste and strain into a serving jug.
- Serve the partridges with the gravy, parsnip crisps and buttered garlic cabbage.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast partridge with caramelised balsamic shallot sauce
Fancy a romantic Christmas or dinner party for two? This...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter