Chorizo and squash risotto
- December 2009
- 900ml chicken stock
- 1 small winter squash, such as kabocha, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 75g chorizo, diced
- 150g risotto rice
- 50g frozen peas
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Put the chicken stock in a pan and bring to the boil. Add the squash and parboil for 2-3 minutes. Lift out the squash using a slotted spoon and set both aside, leaving the stock over a low heat.
- Meanwhile, fry the chorizo in a saucepan over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the rice and stir for 1 minute in the chorizo oil. Reduce the heat slightly and stir in the squash and some hot stock. Stir until the stock has been absorbed, then gradually add more stock, stirring often, until the rice is just cooked – about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the cooked chorizo and season to taste. Divide between shallow bowls and top with fresh parmesan shavings, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Tomato and chorizo risotto with garlic Tenderstem
Risottos aren’t just a winter treat – try this springtime recipe with tomatoes, chorizo and Tenderstem...