Sausage, haricot bean and red wine casserole
- January 2005
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 good pork and herb sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp tomato purèe
- 1 tbsp flour
- 150ml red wine
- 600ml fresh chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- 410g can haricot or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, to serve
- Heat the oil in a casserole or large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and brown until golden all over. Remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion, celery and thyme sprigs to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the tomato purèe and flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the red wine, bring to the boil and bubble until reduced by two-thirds. Add the stock, bring back to the boil and reduce the heat to a fast simmer.
- Halve each sausage diagonally and return to the pan, then simmer for 15 minutes until they are cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir the beans into the casserole and cook for a further 5 minutes to heat through. Season to taste, then divide between 4 warm plates. Garnish with the extra herbs. Serve with mash and vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...