Sausage, haricot bean and red wine casserole
- January 2005
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 good pork and herb sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- 2 tbsp tomato purèe
- 1 tbsp flour
- 150ml red wine
- 600ml fresh chicken or vegetable stock, hot
- 410g can haricot or cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Chopped fresh flatleaf parsley, to serve
- Heat the oil in a casserole or large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the sausages and brown until golden all over. Remove them with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add the onion, celery and thyme sprigs to the pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the tomato purèe and flour and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the red wine, bring to the boil and bubble until reduced by two-thirds. Add the stock, bring back to the boil and reduce the heat to a fast simmer.
- Halve each sausage diagonally and return to the pan, then simmer for 15 minutes until they are cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Stir the beans into the casserole and cook for a further 5 minutes to heat through. Season to taste, then divide between 4 warm plates. Garnish with the extra herbs. Serve with mash and vegetables.
Rate & review