Cinnamon and apple hot cross buns with marzipan
- April 2008
- Makes 24 buns
- Takes 40 minutes to make, plus rising and 30 minutes to bake
If you love cinnamon buns and hot cross buns, then try these cinnamon-flavoured hot cross buns with apple, cranberries and a marzipan centre. Easter baking at its best.
Or, for a healthier twist on the traitional hot cross bun recipe, why not make these orange and prune hot cross buns by Peter Sidwell?
- 425g strong plain white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
- 50g butter, softened
- 7g sachet easy-blend fast-action yeast
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 25g light muscovado sugar
- 1 eating apple, cored and finely diced
- 150g dried cranberries
- 125ml milk, plus extra for brushing
- 400g natural colour marzipan
- Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the yeast, then add all the remaining ingredients except the milk and marzipan.
- Pour the milk into a jug and add 125ml boiling water. Stir into the dough and mix well until it gathers into a soft ball.
- Turn the mixture out onto a floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cut off about 75g marzipan and reserve to make the crosses. Cut the remaining marzipan into twenty four 1cm cubes. Form the dough into a fat sausage and cut into 12 slices, cut each slice in half and place a piece of marzipan in the centre of each and pinch the dough around it. Roll into a ball and place on a baking tray.
- Roll out the reserved marzipan into tiny thin sausages and use to make crosses on the buns. Cover loosely with cling film. Leave in a warm place, for about an hour, until doubled in size and the dough feels very light and airy.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan180c/gas 6. When ready to bake, brush the top of the risen buns with milk. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.
Best eaten within two days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter