Sticky hot cross buns
- April 2004
- Makes 12 buns
- Hands on time 10 minutes, baking time 15-20 minutes plus proving and cooling
Glazed and filled with cranberries, blueberries and sultanas, these sticky hot cross buns are a delicious twist on a classic Easter recipe.
From chocolate-orange hot cross buns to hot cross buns with vodka-marmalade butter, you’ll find our spectacular selection of hot cross bun recipes here.
- 500g plain flour
- 7g sachet easy-blend yeast
- 50g golden caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp extra for the glaze
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 50g dried cranberries and/or blueberries
- 50g sultanas
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 200ml milk, warmed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 50g butter, melted
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, spice, fruit and lemon zest.
- Make a well in the centre and stir in the warm milk, beaten egg and melted butter. Stir together to make a soft dough. Knead on a surface for 5 minutes until smooth. Return to the bowl, cover and leave for 1 hour until risen.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with circles of greaseproof paper or muffin cases. Briefly knead the dough and roll out into 12 balls and put one in each case. Cut a cross in the top of each ball, cover again and leave to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Bake the buns for 15-20 minutes until golden. Mix together the remaining sugar with 2 tablespoons of water. Brush the buns with the sugar water as soon as they come out of the oven. Leave to cool a little before eating.
If there’s one thing that is always worth making yourself it’s a hot cross bun. Home-made ones taste so much better than any you can buy – especially if you eat them while still warm from the oven. You need a bit of time to let them rise but apart from that they are really simple to make.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Hot cross buns with marmalade vodka whipped butter
Easter wouldn’t be Easter without hot cross buns – and homemade hot cross buns are...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...